Tender steak in a tomato sauce with green peppers and mushrooms. A go-to ItalianTender steak in a fresh tomato sauce with green peppers and mushrooms. A classic Sicilian go-to dish for any day of the week.
A known favorite of mob boss Joe Bonanno and his Castellammarese oriented borgata dish for any day of the week!
How to Make It
3-4 lean steaks (the type you like, it doesn’t have to be a top grade)
Red/green sweet fresh peppers
1 large box, fresh tomatoes chopped or 1 box cherry tomatoes
2 fresh white onions
1 box mushrooms
hot cherry peppers (1-2 depending how hot you like it- optional)
Garlic, salt, black pepper, oregano
• Heat 2-3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil in a large, deep skillet
• Sauté 5-6 gloves of garlic
• Add chopped fresh tomatoes (or cherry tomatoes)
• Add salt/pepper/oregano to taste
• Sauté for approximately 10 Minutes
• Add in steaks (it’s best they are like scallopini sized so they cook faster)
• Then add chopped red/green peppers mix, sauté that 15-min<
• Cook on a low simmer and just let the whole thing slowly cook for approximately 1-2 hrs until the steak is fork tender
• Add in mushrooms the last 20 minutes or so until (half tender
• Taste the finished dish before serving for flavor
• After approximately 2 hours this dish should be ready …… sprinkle fresh parsley on top for garnish and taste …. and serve!