Food, good food at that, is a big priority for mob guys! They are among the most finicky of eaters. They know good food from their mothers and grandmothers from growing up in homes where Italian food was the center of the universe. Here are some recipes to fill your stomach.
Scampi alla Napolitani was one of “Tony the Sheik” Carillo’s favorites. Enjoy!
How to Make it
Shrimp (U12/15 or U20/25 are suggested, appx 7-8 shrimp per person)
4-5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
7-8 large shallots, sliced
2-3 boxes cherry tomatoes
8-10 large cloves of fresh garlic, sliced
Juice from 2-3 fresh lemons
1 bunch fresh basil, chopped
1 bottle fresh clam juice
Salt, black pepper to taste
• In a deep, large pan heat the olive oil, then add and sauté the garlic until lightly browned
• Next, add in the shallots until soft.
• After approximately 4-5 minutes add in cherry tomatoes. Allow all of it to cook on a low flame for approximately 5-6 minutes.
• Add in the shrimp, clam, and lemon juice. Salt and black pepper to taste.
• Simmer on a medium flame for 5-10 minutes. It’s almost ready!
• Add fresh basil to the pan-minutes before you turn off the stove.
• In a separate pot, begin making 2-3 cups of white, long-grain rice
• Plate several scoops of rice as a “bed” to each serving plate, place 6-8 shrimp atop rice and liberally drizzle the “sauce” over it.
• Add more chopped basil as a garnish. Serve and enjoy!
A nice accompaniment to this delicious dish is a fresh mixed salad using your favorite greens
or an “Insalato Misto,” as we say in Italian.